Mixed bag morning

ruger300

HOMAnimated (1).gif

First set of the day, 2 minute mark I see Mr Red pop out and making his way to the sounds of a cottontail distress. I switch to vole squeaks and man did he turn on the gas. Way too fast! I mute the sound but he sees the decoy and doesn’t stop. I get the rifle on him as he turns to vacate after hitting the caller. I rush the shot, clean miss. Jack in another round and turn the sound back on. Luckily he stops and looks back at the caller at the 200 yd mark. I press the trigger this time and fold him up. First red fox with the 17
IMG_4187.jpeg

A few more dry sets and I’m headed home. Spot Mr coyote in a field I don’t have permission. But I do have permission in the field north of that spot. Quickly park the truck and grab gear and get hiking to the fence line. A quick hasty setup and he comes charging over the hill, across the property line. Sees the decoy and puts on the afterburner. I try getting the rifle on him and he picks up my movement and starts leaving the kill zone. Fatal mistake of stopping at the fence to look back at the decoy and I trip the trigger. Real nice light color fur on him.
IMG_4188.jpeg

All in all a pretty good morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking fur on the both of them. They both almost made it back to safety, the fox was close to the trees and you can see the fence line behind the coyote.

Back