Early season Coyote lures

Trapping some problem coyotes . I've started with Hiawatha predator bait and yodel dog glad lure. I recently bought some cavens gusto long call lure, is this skunky lure too " loud " for early season coyotes ?? Trapping high elevation in Wyoming, base elevation is around 7000 ft. The temp has varied but always getting below 50 degrees at night, a high of 65 degrees sometimes during the day.the guy at the Trapping supply store said to wait until the temp got 35 degrees during the day to use the cavens gusto, Is this true ? Will the coyote not work the set because of this ?? Kinda find that hard to believe. Thoughts and opinions please !!!!! 🙏

I haven't trapped since the 80's and only did it until I discovered hounds at 13 years old (fox, coyote, bobcat and coons) in Oklahoma. My favorite lures were beaver caster and rotting fish. For bobcats I set cubbies and used cat food and nip. I also set on trail, fallen trees that crossed creeks and beaver dams.

Sorry no help but brings back great memories.

I consider any lure with skunk a call lure(long distance or cold weather). I usually set very close to sign, so skunk is used in below freezing temps. That said, coyote are curious, so you can reduce the amount of lure(loud/strong call lures) used and catch coyote. Or place it downwind/upwind of the set a few feet to draw them closer.

Skunk essence never worked well for me in warmer temps. By far the best lure/bait for coyotes is mice regardless of Temps.
Rotted and tainted works best.

Back