Chest Pack Thoughts for Night Hunting Mainly

TXCOONDOG

Some of my stands are 2-6 miles from the truck so I use a backpack to carry my gear in, along with a rifle and tripod too.

Bad thing about a backpack is you don't have fast access to the gear.

Kicking around the idea of ditching the backpack and downsizing to a Reese Outdoors Chest pack to carry, extra batteries, thermal monocular, remote, drag, hand calls, etc.

Any of y'all use a chest pack, likes, dislikes, etc?

Some of my stands are 2-6 miles from the truck so I use a backpack to carry my gear in, along with a rifle and tripod too.

Bad thing about a backpack is you don't have fast access to the gear.

Kicking around the idea of ditching the backpack and downsizing to a Reese Outdoors Chest pack to carry, extra batteries, thermal monocular, remote, drag, hand calls, etc.

Any of y'all use a chest pack, likes, dislikes, etc?
I use a Hill People Gear kit bag/chest pack. The Recon kit bag Full. Works great.

I have many different brands and styles of chest rigs and for night hunting the eberlestock recon (large size) is the best I've found. It's expensive to get it fully kitted out but it's near perfection when complete.

I also have the Hill People gear recon and it's a nice American made product but it don't have nearly the capacity and capabilities the Eberlestock does.

You walk 2-6 miles for coyotes? My man, you are dedicated.
I coonhunted for 30 plus year and walked 10 miles (worked construction 10 plus hours a day too) a night (five nights week because I was chasing the Prohound circuit) behind the hounds. However, I hunt on public land and everybody and their brother hunts at the truck so I have to get off the beaten path to be successful. Besides, having to drive 60-100 miles one way, I want to increase my chances of success.

I work out Monday-Friday and walk 30-40 miles a week according to my app to stay in shape.

I guess you could say it's a labor of passion and love for me.

Also, My wife passed away a year ago today, and got to keep myself busy.

Last edited:
for night hunting the eberlestock recon (large size) is the best I've found. It's expensive to get it fully kitted out but it's near perfection when complete.

Yep, I agree;

IMG_7623.jpeg

I coonhunted for 30 plus year and walked 10 miles (worked construction 10 plus hours a day too) a night (five nights week because I was chasing the Prohound circuit) behind the hounds. However, I hunt on public land and everybody and their brother hunts at the truck so I have to get off the beaten path to be successful. Besides, having to drive 60-100 miles one way, I want to increase my chances of success.

I work out Monday-Friday and walk 30-40 miles a week according to my app to stay in shape.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure that she's happy that you are still doing things that you are passionate about.

Last edited:
I’m running a reese outdoors chest rig but Up here in NY I’m not hoofing it that far. It holds what I need it to hold for my treks out and back. I’ve added a couple pouches to the sides to hold scanner and remote while the interior compartments hold everything else. It’s working for me. I kinda wish the top flap flipped outward instead of rearward, but it isn’t much of an issue.

Condolences on your wife. I take a similar approach to hunting. In most cases, you need to go where others typically don’t go.

I have many different brands and styles of chest rigs and for night hunting the eberlestock recon (large size) is the best I've found. It's expensive to get it fully kitted out but it's near perfection when complete.
I'm sure myself & others would like to see how it's kitted out when you have time.

So here's a little write up of my chest rig and kit. For my style of hunting that consist of 15-20 different stands all night, in and out of the truck, and covering lots of ground, fast and light....

IMO the Eberlestock Recon carries everything I need, easily, very comfy at most importantly at the ready.

1000000550.jpg

Looking at the front, extra magazine in the left pocket, main compartment is my scanner, right pocket is my caller remote. Small front pocket is extra batteries and truck keys. Small pocket on left is Benchmade shank, small right pocket is IR illuminator.

1000000552.jpg

NOTICE CALLER LANYARD! I use high visibility and REFLECTIVE paracord incase it's gets dropped, easy to find!

1000000553.jpg

Scanner is at the ready, can easily be tucked away in a nice ,padded main pouch and tethered off to the harness.

1000000556.jpg
1000000558.jpg
1000000559.jpg
1000000560.jpg
1000000562.jpg

1000000554.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000551.jpg
    1000000551.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 5
So my complete load out in this chest rig is scanner, extra 10rd mag (rifle), knife, IR illuminator, caller remote, coyote drag, extra batteries, keys, quick clot, G48MOS with 147gr subs and TLR-8G (light/laser combo).

There is a Molle panel on the bottom that I usually have a case and pistol suppressor for a quiet dispatch that's sometimes needed. This is also great for a handwarmer or bear spray attachment.

The BEST tip I can give you guys is TETHER your scanner, you'll thank me later! Hope this helps you guys out!

1000000564.jpg
1000000565.jpg
1000000566.jpg

Back