Best powder/bullets for 223 with 1 in 8 twist?

JerryinPA

Hi all;

I'm setting up to reload for my new 223 Tikka T3 with 1 in 8 twist.

I've read the archives twice and gathered all the favorite loads, powder, bullets. However, obviously, most 223's seem to be 1 in 12 twists.

Now, I'm looking at powders as fast as Reloader 7 and as slow as Varget, with quite a few in between. I'm looking at bullets from 40 to 60+ grains, with hundreds in between.

My question is this... For a bolt action 223, with a 1 in 8 twist, and a 22.5" barrel...

What are PROBABLY going to be the most accurate powders?

What is PROBABLY going to be the most accurate varmint bullet weight?

Anybody with a 1 in 8 twist experience that can advise me here?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry.

most of the 1-8 223's built today are AR-15's, most of the guys who have them report great results with bullets from 45 gr on up. I don't reload for mine I buy either black hills or ultramax reman, I pay 235.00 per thousand for ultramax 55 gr sp's that will shoot .4's if I do my stuff don't think its worth it to me to save a few dollars, and spend the time loading. sorry I couldn't help ya, but the main difference you'll see because of the 1-8 is a lil lower velocity on the normal weights and lots better accuracy with the heavy's, be sure and try the 75 gr A-Max.
RR

My savage is a nine twist and mine loves 40gvmaxs with 26.5g of h335, for me this is a great load, it also shoots great in my friends rem, and also shoot great in my cz.

Like 17 cal, I have a Savage with a 1:9 twist and a 24" barrel. My most accurate load to date is Nosler BT 55 gr, Win brass (trimmed), Rem 7.5 BR primers, 25 gr of H335, and 2.261" OAL. Really nice tight groups consistently.

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted but may help in some small way.

Jerry,
The twist rate is not gonna have anything to do with the powders or accuracy you will see. You just have to find the right bullet/powder combo as with any other rifle. I have 1 in 8's that will shoot 40's up to 80's very well! For the AR's, Black Hills 73gr Berger loads shoot really well for factory as do most of their other loads. Let us know how it does! Was not aware that Tikka was offering 1 in 8 twist's in their .223's! Hope they are, guess they finally listened to someone.

Quote:
Jerry,
Was not aware that Tikka was offering 1 in 8 twist's in their .223's! Hope they are, guess they finally listened to someone.

Yea Steve, from what I can figure out, it seems that Tikka just recently changed from 1:12 to 1:8 for their 223 T3 Lite rifles... sometime in the last few months of 2004 it seems.

Lots of fellas speak enthusiastically of the 1:8. Plenty of comments that the 1:8 really shines in yielding consistent expansion, as well as the obvious advantages with heavier bullet capabilities.

I'll let the group know whatever I find that works well.

If anyone elso out there is developing loads for a 1:8 Tikka, I hope you will speak up too!

Regards,

Jerry.

I got the Armalite A4 Tactical, 1-8 twist, Lighter bullets H-335. Bullets heavier than 65gr I use Vitavhori N-140.

Mike

ar15group.jpg

Last edited:
Jerry
My 1-8 tika varmiter shoots 1/2 moa with 26.4 gr of win 748 under a 55 nos bt in federal cace rem 6 1/2 primer.Seemed to do just as well with the same charge of BL-C2.

Back