Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Shot this big hog in the afternoon after work on the farm I work on.. Shot him at 125 yards with old marlin .22 (in the picture).. Aimed 3 inches high and smacked him right in the head.. There's many more of these guys on my hit list in the near future

Love those Marlins with the Micro Groove barrels. Great accurate shooters for sure! I've got one bolt action and one semi in 22 lr that shoot really tight, consistent groups.

Been several weeks since I've been able to get out. This cleaning out the house gig is getting old. Fortunately, we're almost done. It's on the market, but only since last Saturday. No bites yet.

Anyway. After dinner I decided I needed some R&R so I headed over to one of the nearby farms stopping briefly at a farm that is on the way, but saw nothing. Got the truck into position to glass, but the hay has not been cut there and is too high to see anything.

So I decided to go home, but stopped once again at the other farm to take a peek. Sure enough, I spotted one so I got the gun ready, but by the time I was in position to shoot the hog moved behind some bushes. Had to move the truck to get a clear shot.

The distance went from 152 down to 123. Lined up the crosshairs, pulled the trigger and smack. Love to hear that sound. Three for three. All females. This one's a young one, not nursing this time. Plump little bugger. Here are the pics.

You'll see a small amount of blood at the entrance, but no exit, again. Still using the T/C Venture in 223 & 45 gr HP.

Finally on the board I got a real late start this year do to work and field conditions, well they finally cut the hay fields the other day and I was able to get out today.

I only took one gun my 20-250 loaded with the 55gr Berger's, I saw a total of 13 chucks and only had a shot at one actually I could have shot two more but one was at 50 yards and one at 25 yards not much of a challenge for a 20-250

this is the one I did shoot 254 yards

IMG_20130602_184225_850_zps66481613.jpg

Know what it's like to finally be able to get out. Sounds like you're working with a target rich environment. Nice shooting. Good luck with the rest of them.

After two trips to recycling, one to the county dump (have taken almost a ton of stuff there already) and a 30 mile drive to exercise the motorhome, I took some R & R and headed to the golf course with the 223 cause the long course was closed for weekly maintenance. Managed to shoot two more females. That's five in a row now.

I want to know where the studs are that are knocking up the girls. Have yet to nail one of these guys myself. LOL

The first was only 56 yards, but the second was 192. My farthest shot so far this season. Spotted her up ahead with the binos, stopped the golf cart, got into sniping position using the bipods, placed the crosshairs along the top of her back, pulled the trigger and heard the whack!

Here are the DRT, entrance or exit and the ID photos.

Good shooting Dogbone. You guys kepp stacking them for me.I'm heading out for Wyoming in a couple of hours for some prairie dog damage control. I'll be back on June 18th and promise to hit the old pasture poodles hard and heavy providing I still have some ammo left!! lol

total 21 now, taking my first couple last night with the good 'ol 22 hornet. I have 20 more cases prep'd & primed, and will be switching back to the 35V-MAX's again in this rifle. The 34 Midway dogtown hollow points just don't seem to anchor stuff as well as the V-MAX's. These are both very accurate little bullets, but I plan to go back to my original recipe now for the hornet and re-zero my scope accordingly.

1up5down, sounds like great fun! I have never had the pleasure of spraying prairie dogs. Enjoy that action.

Got another with old reliable at work today.. Shot her from up in the hay barn with my old marlin .22 from about 50 yards right in the chin.. She was grazing on some fresh cut grass in our buffalo field.. Best part of my job is getting to shoot these hogs.

I went back 15 minutes later and saw this little guy up out of the hole.. Got him right where i aimed.. in the ear

Last edited:
sbranden said:
The 34 Midway dogtown hollow points just don't seem to anchor stuff as well as the V-MAX's. These are both very accurate little bullets, but I plan to go back to my original recipe now for the hornet and re-zero my scope accordingly.
quote]

Bodies are mounting up. Love those V-Max's!

A little exercise for the 17 Ackley Hornet this evening. Every time I squeezed the trigger, something died. All shots between 125-250 yards. At 4000fps, that little 20 gr V-Max is nasty, they don't even quiver much. It is just a point and click evolution. That Leupold VX3 Illuminated German #4 Dot only covers 9/10th of an inch at 100 yds, provides for some precision shooting.

Back