Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Originally Posted By: 1up5downRuss,I thought I would shoot all my ammo up then I would be forced to bring my sling shot!! That way it would be more of a fair fight between you and I to see who can get the longest kill in Wyoming.
tt2.gif

Oh man! That was cold! Cold! Just for that, you can no longer borrow my DVD collection of "Gentle Ben" and "Flipper". Sorry, but hurtful words have their price.

Russ

PS And please return my DVD "Timmy Discovers that Lassie is a Male" right away. Two years is long enough.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: 1up5downRuss,I thought I would shoot all my ammo up then I would be forced to bring my sling shot!! That way it would be more of a fair fight between you and I to see who can get the longest kill in Wyoming.
tt2.gif

Oh man! That was cold! Cold! Just for that, you can no longer borrow my DVD collection of "Gentle Ben" and "Flipper". Sorry, but hurtful words have their price.

Russ

PS And please return my DVD "Timmy Discovers that Lassie is a Male" right away. Two years is long enough.

Haha buddy. And to make it even easier for you in Wyoming, I'm going to bring my rocks that have the lowest B/C for the sling shot.I want to take all the excuses away from you when you get beat by a wrist rocket!!
tt2.gif

I use to bowhunt groundhogs in Wytheville, Va a few years ago...usually got 2-4 per day. We would set up on their holes about 20yds after we spooked them in. Now I would rather get out the varmint rifles...may have to head to Va sometime soon.

You have groundhogs in SC. I saw some a little further out west while visiting a nephew at Clemson. They probably make BBQ out of them that way
smile.gif

I've been playing with my new to me 22 lr... just tearing some holes. Decided to change up a lil and make it earn it's keep. I'm 3 outta 5 so far, with the longest shot being a solid 100 yd headshot. The two misses were both over a 100 yds on a breezy day. My buddy is 1 for 1 with it at 65 yds.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice going guys !

Must be nice to have warm weather.

Snowed a few weeks ago and is mid 80's and breezy today. Hope it sticks to the 60-70's for a while so we can have a spring. We jumped from winter to summer there for a bit.

Yep, mid 80's here today, and supposed to be in the 30s by Friday night.

Today I went to Bristol, VA / TN and saw several groundhogs along the highway, more than I've seen in quite a while. I hope that's a good sign for the upcoming summer.

Sorry folks, I've been a little slow keeping up here!
BRB and I made it out again last Saturday, and the wind was howling again. It reminded me of trying to shoot out West.
We did manage to hit eight, but only picked up six, so only six got scored.
As usual, I gave the first shot to BRB and he scored:

then it was back and forth, hits and misses, for the rest of the afternoon:
I nailed this one at a little over 300:

it's kinda nice to have an attorney to shag dead critters!
laugh.gif

Here's BRB shagging another....note the left handed set up on the tail gate:

the buzzards and eagles were going to eat well the next day! Day ended with BRB 4, 2 for me, and I missed a coyote at a little under 300 with the swift late in the evening
cry.gif
The wind was blowing, yeah....but something was definitely wrong! I'd missed a couple shots with that rifle that I should not have missed! Range verification proved it to have gotten 1.5" low, and 1.25 right at 100! That explained the missed coyote!
F1

I did shoot # 21 groundhog late this afternoon, but no picture. I nailed that one with the 22 mag at 90ish yards, DRT! The morning was spent spring gobbler hunting and visiting old friends.
Knowing I wouldn't be able to hunt much yesterday, I did go out Thursday afternoon after 6:00. Piggies were out everywhere. They must have known the rain was coming! I shot three in about 10 minutes, two with the 204, and one with the pellet rifle at 50ish yards:

204: that one was between 150 and 175. I don't need to laser anything that appears to be under 200 when using the 204! It's just put it on the piggie, and shwump!
thumbup1.gif

I shot two more with the pellet rifle, where I could actually see the pellets hit them, but placement was less than perfect, and they both made it into their holes
thumbdown.gif

Then I drove to the farm where I missed the coyote last Saturday and picked up one more, to bring the total to 20:

I watched the back field by the river until dark, for another shot at a coyote, but none showed.....not surprising after educating the one stupid one the the folks on the farm had been seeing regularly....
F1

Nice shooting gentlemen! You boys are getting it done! Kudos on the pics too!!

Will still be two weeks before we arrive home. Should have warmed up enough by then for the ghogs to up and moving in the Democratic Slave and Gun Control State of New Jersey.

Spread the wealth a little today, took the Browning A Bolt Triple Duece, Leupold VX3 2.5x10 Illuminated German #4 Dot, shooting 40gr Blitzkings. It was a funny kill, this groundhog came out and stood up nice and pretty at about 150 yds, just as I squeezed the trigger he dropped down to feed. I knew the bullet passed right over his head, no doubt and he ran and hauled boogie to his hole back in the woods and then stood up for one last look around, ooops-mistake on his part, he forgot to duck that time.Five this early is unusual for me, I normally wait, but it has been along winter.

Last week's pigs that I posted in the wrong place LOL with the Browning Micro Hunter 17 Ackley Hornet. Shot another one since then , but forgot to get pictures, was overcome by two strutting and fighting gobblers who wouldn't quit.

Seems like you favor the Brownings. They obviously get the job done. Nice shooting! Love the little 17 pill for accuracy and lethality. Keep the posts and pics coming. It's the only way to get my jollies until we get home the end of next week.

I do indeed favor the Brownings. The have proven themselves to me first hand, and that matters. Fully floated barrels and glass bedded outta the box, easily adjustable triggers. I have a bunch of them too.

No pictures this past weekend. I hurried out to the farm last Saturday for a few hour hunt. The holes aren't in the open like they use to be, not sure what is happening out there. There were a few holes on the fence rows, but not the volume I'm use to seeing. I didn't even hunt this section of ground last year due to high grass, I thought the numbers would be higher this year because of it. I spotted one after walking about 300yds from the car. I tried to setup and get video of it, but the sun was putting glare on the camera bad and the footage was terrible. The hog saw me setting up in the open and jumped off his sunning rock and sat in the hole at 222yds. I finally got tired of waiting and sent a 50gr. V-max toward his head from the AR. Didn't hear a meat report so I waited and he came back out. Unsure of where I hit I tried the same dope and missed just over his noggin. I adjusted for another shot, but the gig was up by then. Later inspection of the hole had a pair of holes in the bank behind him that looked like snake eyes about an inch over where his head was
smirk.gif

I walked another 500-600 yds and glassed from one hill to the next to see a blonde colored pig sitting in the weeds at the mouth of the hole. I ranged it at 205yds and went with the corrected dope I ended with on the previous shot. I heard the hit and saw the chuck roll back to the hole. When I got up to it, there was a blood trail down the hole and the pretty blonde hog was gone. I walked a good bit more to no avail. Maybe this weekend will be better.

Back