Alpha 1

foxrunner

Broke down and bought the new Remington Alpha 1 .308
Time to see how it shoots!
IMG_3541.jpeg

The ones I saw were very nice and the action was smooth as any custom rifle action I have felt. I'm curious as to the accuracy myself.

Kinda looks like Bud's have the best prices. Still a lot for a Remington but seems like a very nice rifle.

Last edited:
The ones I saw were very nice and the action was smooth as any custom rifle action I have felt. I'm curious as to the accuracy myself.

Kinda looks like Bud's have the best prices. Still a lot for a Remington but seems like a very nice rifle.
Yes, they do. That’s exactly where I got it from. Buds has great prices on everything.

Looks great, if they would only do away with those stupid scanner codes on the side. Looking forward to reports on accuracy.

Took it to the range today. I only had one bullet to load, it was a 180 grain ballistic tip Nosler loaded behind 41.5 gr. of Varget.
The barrel was cleaned before shooting.
This is five out of eight shots @ 100 yds. The first three were just to get it on paper.

Update: so I went up to 43 grains of Varget and the group did not get any better.
Suggestions? Switch to another type of bullet, different weight, etc. ?
IMG_3547.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3565.jpeg
    IMG_3565.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
In decent conditions, general rule of thumb is, vertical is powder, horizontal is seating.

Nosler shows Varget 43.5 grains as max.

Hodgdons shows Varget 45 grains as max.
Yes, sir, I thought I would start low and work my way up.
Do you have any opinion on different bullets? Or should I just stick with what I got and work from there? I like the Nosler bullets

I like Nosler as well, but I'd stick to the 150 class midweights for the 308.

There's a lot to like about Lapua's 155 grain Scenar too, with hundreds & hundreds of positive reports of those on game up to elk.

In decent conditions, general rule of thumb is, vertical is powder, horizontal is seating.

Most people need that written down and glued to their reloading bench. No telling how much powder & bullets I wasted until I was told. It's easy to get all out of control chasing something at random.

I remember it by : "P" = Piled up. Piled up = powder.

But ALF left out a scattered all around pattern. That's too much coffee. :LOL:

Last edited:
I like Nosler as well, but I'd stick to the 150 class midweights for the 308.

There's a lot to like about Lapua's 155 grain Scenar too, with hundreds & hundreds of positive reports of those on game up to elk.
It’s a 1:10 twist if that would help ?

Id tell you to do a ladder test up and down with it in half a grain increments before you rule out the 180’s I use imr4831 in my 7600 pump and can shoot .6” at a 100 yards with my hand load. I Load the COL just shy of touching the magazine. If I remember right, my best group was about one and a half grains under max book load. That 180 grain ballistic tip is a beast on deer!🦌

Last edited:
Back