7 coyote stand

Snowshoes

HOMAnimated (1).gif

Almost a month since my last time out, the weather was favorable this morning to try my luck at calling coyotes. A light breeze from the northwest combined with a temperature a couple degrees above the freezing mark, was welcomed as I walked to the same location last visited back on November 19th.
Following a well used coyote trail along the edge of the field, I see two coyotes directly west of me as I crest the first hill. Too early to shoot yet, so I let the pair make their way to the trees before I move on. Three hundred yards further west I crest the second hill which reveals a group of 4 coyotes near the location of the coyote I had shot almost a month earlier. To the north of the group of four is 2 more coyotes which complicates my approach of being detected. Backtrack a few yards and cut into the trees and slowly make my west-ward journey once again. Within the cover of the trees I make my way to the spot where I intended to set up. The group of four are no longer visible and the pair to the north have laid down on a hilltop but neither seem to be looking in my direction. After a few minutes I see a single to the east which is following the same route as the very first two I encountered on my walk-in. A few more minutes pass and I see the group of four once again but now they’re much further west. I glance to the east and see another coyote travelling south following the same route as the other single. I have coyotes to the east, coyotes to the west and I’m situated in between with distances further than I care to shoot. Not looking to be a stellar setup location on my part but past history has proven otherwise and I hang tight as I have sniped a fair number of coyotes over the years from this very location. A mile north I see 3 more coyotes leaving the poultry farm and two look to be headed in my direction. I watch their slow progress through the binoculars but something to the west catches my attention. I see there is a single coyote standing a few yards from the carcass of the coyote shot back in November. With the 204 lined up and crosshairs on fur, a 220 yard shot has coyote number 1 down for the morning.
image_50448385.JPG

What happens next isn’t what you would call “text book coyote behavior". The two coyotes who were laying down are now standing up and the group of four come out of the trees and are all now standing at the edge of the field. After a minute or so, I pulled out a bite call and give a quick series of distress cries. Well fed coyotes usually don't respond too well to distress but sometimes curiosity kills the coyote. The group of four moved a bit further into the field which is closer but still 400+ yards. The pair to the north are joined by a third coyote and now I have 7 sets of eyes looking in my direction. I switch over to the cow horn howler and let fly with a few yelps which brings two of the group of four somewhat closer but none are totally committed. A couple minutes pass before I challenge howl them which puts paws into motion. The lead two close the distance quickly and with a few vocal howls, I get the closest coyotes stopped. Once again, crosshairs on fur and with a touch of the trigger, down goes coyote number two. Later ranged at 156 yards,
image_50743041.JPG

Not having shot a single shot rifle for awhile, I fumble a bit getting another cartridge into the Cooper. Most of the coyotes are trotting back to the bush but the one coyote is hanging back looking at its downed partner. A hefty charge of IMR 8208XBR sends the 38 gr Wildcat on its way to down coyote # 3. Ranged at 206 yards.
image_50435841.JPG

A quick series of yelps surprisingly pulls another coyote from the bush but not from where I expected as it showed up close to the first one shot. Once again with well placed crosshairs, a bullet is sent on its way netting coyote # 4 ( 198 yards).
image_50439169.JPG

With four coyotes laying in the field now I figured this to be the end of the morning activities so I packed up and was about to stand up when I saw a coyote directly north of me which looked to be angling to the southeast. Once the coyote drops out of sight I reposition myself and when the coyote shows again, it’s a matter of a vocal bark to stop it for a shot. A 201 yard shot has coyote number 5 down. (The pair - # 5 & # 6)
image_50418945.JPG

image_50456833.JPG

Once again, I pack up and about to stand up when I see another coyote following the same trail as the one I just shot. Following the same sequence as before I drop coyote # 6 at 185 yards. I think these last two coyotes were the same ones I saw earlier to the north of me and they had hung up in the slough bottom for sometime before venturing south once again.
image_50416641.JPG

I glassed the area thoroughly one more time just in case but the whole area was now void of any other coyotes.

Packed up and walked directly west to where the 1st and 4th coyote lay. After a couple pictures, I was about to walk north to where the 2nd and 3rd coyote lay when I saw an extremely mangy coyote standing just in the trees to the northwest of me. With the sun at my back, this coyote must not have been able to see me standing in the open field. There was some buck brush in front of the coyote but I figured I could get a bullet through to my target. This coyote had no hair to speak of and looked very sickly. With the report of the gun shot I saw the coyote drop which I was glad to see as it would put that coyote out of its misery. As I walked toward the direction of coyote # 7 ( never ranged the distance) I got a glimpse of the mangy coyote laboring to get further into the trees. I wasn’t able to get another shot off before it got into a tangle of fallen dead trees. A heavy blood trail led into the tangled fallen trees but no trail past that point. I wasn't about to go crawling in there for a picture of a mangy coyote.
I guess I could have taken a picture of the blood trail leading into the entangled trees but never thought of it at the time.
It's been sometime since I've had such a successful morning hunt. The lack of hunting pressure really showed this morning with the lack of caution on the coyotes part

Attachments

• image_50456833.JPG
    image_50456833.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
That sounds like quite the good time! So glad to see you on here again. What happened to the 223ai?
I sold the Cooper 223AI along with the Cooper 223 a year and half ago. The plan was to build a 22LR Vudoo or Rim-X but ended up with another Anschutz 54 for myself and a Bergara B-14R to be added to my wife’s collection of 22’s.
I have thinned out my dedicated coyote rifles significantly as of late in favour of a number of new 22LR Rifles and ammunitions.

I sold the Cooper 223AI along with the Cooper 223 a year and half ago. The plan was to build a 22LR Vudoo or Rim-X but ended up with another Anschutz 54 for myself and a Bergara B-14R to be added to my wife’s collection of 22’s.
I have thinned out my dedicated coyote rifles significantly as of late in favour of a number of new 22LR Rifles and ammunitions.
Oh no! The precision 22lr bug has got you too! Too many great rifles have been sold in pursuit of this terrible sickness! I have multiple friends who have gone down this route and been swallowed by its addiction.
I will be sure to take 2 minutes silence to mourn the loss of your sanity and bank account 😞

Oh no! The precision 22lr bug has got you too! Too many great rifles have been sold in pursuit of this terrible sickness! I have multiple friends who have gone down this route and been swallowed by its addiction.
I will be sure to take 2 minutes silence to mourn the loss of your sanity and bank account 😞
Lol, l can relate to your thoughts regarding such a terrible sickness. I never thought I would see the day of paying over $200 a brick for certain 22LR ammunitions. Most of our ammo on hand is considerably less but still a ridiculous price. Two minutes of silence is much appreciated and warranted I believe 🙂

Back