6mm ARC a surprise. UPDATE

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Well I got the ARC put together today, a bit of a challenge as they changed the mag release at least twice since I bought my Grendel. I had to take a file to the mag well so my bobbed mage would fit, my spare stock was for a sporter barrel so I had to open that. Last week while my barrelled action was in rifle jail I pulled the old fat pad and fitted an thin pad to shorten the LOP.

Now for the surprise. I was contemplating ordering a barrel for an action I had here but it was cheaper to order a Howa Mini barrelled action than a barrel. It came with a mag also. My only worry was that it was built to shoot long heavies and I was planning to shoot light bullets for predators. I loaded a dummy round with a 75gr FB HP about halfway down the neck hoping I could get close to the lands and promptly jammed it in the lands. Hurrah, it's going to work with light bullets. I was able to load almost to the base of the neck before clearing the lands.

Now to find a load it likes.

Busy week, fitted one thin pad to shorten a LOP, cut off a stockt on a nice German O/U, fitted a pad and cut the stock on an old Swedish sxs(this years duck gun, retiring my old one) and refitted the curve steel butt plate. The temps dropped into the 90s and night into the 60s, the hunting urge went into high gear. Next week starts doves, later in Sept is early teal and so on till it ends next April. Then it's time to shoot carp with the bow

6mm arc is much like a 6.5 creedmoor its either loved or hated. Typically those that hate it have zero experience behind it. Ballistics aren’t very impressive, when you read about it. Then once you spend time behind it, that’s when the magic starts to happen. It’s on the extreme side of accuracy and efficiency. 6 ranchers have bought one, after shooting mine.

Well I got the ARC put together today, a bit of a challenge as they changed the mag release at least twice since I bought my Grendel. I had to take a file to the mag well so my bobbed mage would fit, my spare stock was for a sporter barrel so I had to open that. Last week while my barrelled action was in rifle jail I pulled the old fat pad and fitted an thin pad to shorten the LOP.

Now for the surprise. I was contemplating ordering a barrel for an action I had here but it was cheaper to order a Howa Mini barrelled action than a barrel. It came with a mag also. My only worry was that it was built to shoot long heavies and I was planning to shoot light bullets for predators. I loaded a dummy round with a 75gr FB HP about halfway down the neck hoping I could get close to the lands and promptly jammed it in the lands. Hurrah, it's going to work with light bullets. I was able to load almost to the base of the neck before clearing the lands.
I've found in all my ARC AR's that just about .020" past the 2.20" coal that Hornady calls for its jamming lans. I love loading for this cartridge. There isn't any info for it listed for IMR 3031, but on Hodgdon's web site for 58 grain bullets at 29 grains. But I tried 27 grains of it under a 75g Vmax, because I have 8 lbs of 3031. I found that it gave me 3k and really decent accuracy out of a 16" barrel. It could go higher, but I"m trying to extend brass life as long as possible. I bet out of a 22" it would be 3200+, it gives me 3150 out of my 20" upper. Good luck, I have a Ballistic Advantage 20" and a Brownell/Faxon colab16" barrels and both have shoot sub MOA with about everything I've tried through them so far. I really want to get a bolt gun it, as hornady has bolt gun info that goes up 10,000 psi higher than the AR load data. I bet you'll find yourself in love with it in short order. Zero recoil in my AR's, I can pretty much watch the bullet trace all the way to the target at 600 yards.

Last edited:
Made it to the range today. It was windy enough to wave the target holder around. Target holder are 2x2s 6 feet tall with a quarter sheet of plywood nailed on and sandbags on the feet.

Group #1 was the best it was 1 grain under max book for bolt-actions. AA 2230 75gr Speer

Group #2 was pretty good the round to the right was the wind as it happened again on the next group. 1/2 grain under max book.

Group #3 same as #2 book max

PXL_20240906_162326594.jpg

I believe all three will work fine, even max book left primers nicely rounded and smooth bolt opening, temps 85 and sunny.

I'm happy.

I'm surprised at the recoil on this. When I shortened the stock I put a 1/2" Decelerator pad on it, my Grendel I did has a hard butt as I didn't have a pad to put on it and it doesn't seem to bite as much.

Back