300 Ham'r

William Suter

I was at the club yesterday and some generous soul left a bunch of 300BO brass so being the scrounger that I am, I snagged it. Brought it home and gave it an overnight tumble in my tumbler and now today its all bright and shiny. I was looking at Hodgdons for some different loads and the 300 Ham'r showed up. Seems we don't hear much about it. Was it another flash in the pan or is it still somewhat popular? It sounds good on paper but is it that much better than the BO? Have any of you built one or shoot one? Inquiring minds want to know.

The places where the 300 hammer is popular are the same states where the 450 bushmaster are popular. States where only straight walled cartridges are allowed for rifle deer season.

I'm wrong. See below.

Last edited:
Isn't it basically a just a longer cased Black Out? I read where it gives between 200-300 more FPS and a little more energy. Its an interesting little round but here again is the squeeze worth the juice?

There's a mile long thread on it on the texas hunting forum, with Bill Wilson chiming in frequently. It's very popular with the hog hunting crowd down there and Bill recently took one to Africa and shot all kinds of big game with it. It's kind of their flagship rifle caliber now. They use 1-15 and 1-13 twists in those barrels so it's not intended for subsonic work. If anything I think it's following is still growing.

I watched a video and it pretty much said it was for hog and deer hunting and did have a different twist barrel than the BO. Made for 95-150 grain bullets. The guy in the video was shooting AR's which is fine but I'm a bolt action fan so it would need to be in a bolt action rifle. But doubt that will happen anytime soon. (But I do have a new Ruger GenII , all it would need is a barrel)

Back