3 legged Coyote - shot 4 in 1 season

Dead Down Wind

IMG_4016.jpeg

Last edited:
Only ever killed one. He come into the caller behind a smaller yote that was leading. Caught up and chased off the smaller dog. By then I’d kinda noticed a strange gait to his running but I was concentrating on the kill zone. The 204 spoke and I was surprised to find a 3 legged coyote crumpled up at the bottom of that hill. They are survivors.

See a lot of them around farms and ranches. I’ve had some live after catching them with the swather. They are tough buggers.

That is cool. I will see one around here every few years.

5-6 years ago there was one out at my brother-in-laws place that just had 2 front legs. For several months both my BIL and my son would see it every now and then dragging itself around. Then it was gone.

I have killed 3, 2 with fronts missing and 1 with a rear gone. As said, tough critters

Last edited:
Never run across one w/shoulder missing, but did shoot one w/front foot gone. Looked like he lost it to a trap.

Just shot one......Stubbs.....

Amazing how tenacious coyotes can be. I saw one like that on a trail camera two years ago. Haven’t seen it again since. He looked pretty healthy.

Missing a front leg is difficult for them. They have to raise their body up to get the one leg to move forward. Seems it would be difficult to catch food.

I killed a female a few years ago that was missing a rear leg. She could maneuver around pretty darn good. Also have shot three or four missing a paw.

I think the funkiest one I ever saw was a 3.5 leg coyote where it seemed to have a genetic defect at birth. The front right leg only sent halfway down but instead of a nub like usual it had a partially formed foot complete with claws where his knee should have been.

I killed one a few years ago and it was as heavy as typical coyote and did not appear to be too handicapped for missing a front leg. As was previously stated they are tenacious.

Heres a coyote that got around on 2 1/2 legs left side two are fine front right missing rear right he hobbled on the knee. copper in the knee joint says frontal shot took the front off, and broke the rear. Hate to think how many 3 legged coyotes ive bought over the years.

Attachments

• DSCN1785.JPG
    DSCN1785.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back