270 WSM bullet

daisy2007

I am looking for information on a good bullet for deer or bigger game. I started reloading for my 270 WSM and have been reloading with IMR 4831 and 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have had great luck with this combination. But, I have came to the realization that the Ballistic Tip bullets may not be the best choice for deer or bigger sized game. Or is it an alright choice?
Any information is useful, as I am new to reloading.

Last edited:
I have been shooting Berger vld's 130grain with great accuracy and very good results on deer.

Last year I hit a buck a little far back about the last rib and he was dead in 5 seconds.he dressed out at almost 200 pounds. Great big exit hole.

If you have had great luck with the BallisticTips why change?
They are a very accurate bullet and kill Deer sized game very well.

I love the Sierra GameKings and use the 150 grain bullet in my .270 Win. The 130 grain GameKings are also top performers. I would absolutely give the Sierra's a try. You will not be sorry.

Originally Posted By: sumrifleIf you have had great luck with the BallisticTips why change?
They are a very accurate bullet and kill Deer sized game very well.

I love the Sierra GameKings and use the 150 grain bullet in my .270 Win. The 130 grain GameKings are also top performers. I would absolutely give the Sierra's a try. You will not be sorry.

Well I have had good luck with them as far as accuracy on paper. I have not shot an animal with them. I had just read some stuff that the ballistic tip would not retain as much weight as other bullets on impact. The jacket is not bonded to the core as the accubond. I am just wanting to make sure that I am working up a load with a bullet that is gonna be good for deer, but also for elk, bear, etc.
I think that I am gonna go to the accubond. I just wish that it came in 150gr since that is what I have been working with thus far.

Never used the Accubond but have never heard anything bad about them. I would absolutely go with a 150 grain bullet if you are planning on Elk and Bear. Will a well constructed 130 grain bullet work? Sure

Would I go out after a Bear or an Elk with a 130 grain bullet? Not likely. Good luck!

I shot a cow elk this year with a 130 grain Berger VLD at just under 3400fps. Performance was excellent. At reasonable range I would not hesitate to shoot another elk or a black bear with this load. The Berger VLD's are gaining quite a reputation for their performance on game. That being said I am very fond of the Nosler Accubond and have had excellent performance with the 140 grain out of my 7mm-08. It has taken several elk, mule deer and antelope. I think the 140 grain Accubond would be superb out of the .270 WSM. I will probably try it next year.

To deviate from the norm in this thread I will recommend the Barnes 140 grain TSX. It has proven very accurate in the .270 WSM I load for, and performs wonderfully on game. My dad used it to take several animals in Africa and the bullet worked great on everything from a small springbok to a large kudu and zebra.

wyoshooter,
Thanks for your input that is what I am looking at using is the 140gr Accubond. Sounds like from you and others on here that it is a reliable bullet for what I would be using it for.
I have shot deer and a bear with factory Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130gr.
This is the first time I have reloaded for this gun, and I am new to realoading. I wish I would have started out loading the 140gr accubond. I started with the Nosler Ballistic Tip in 150gr. Which I have found a really really good load for.
Guess I will just start over with the 140gr accubond.

Originally Posted By: daisy2007wyoshooter,
Thanks for your input that is what I am looking at using is the 140gr Accubond. Sounds like from you and others on here that it is a reliable bullet for what I would be using it for.
I have shot deer and a bear with factory Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130gr.
This is the first time I have reloaded for this gun, and I am new to realoading. I wish I would have started out loading the 140gr accubond. I started with the Nosler Ballistic Tip in 150gr. Which I have found a really really good load for.
Guess I will just start over with the 140gr accubond.

Daisy,
I spent a considerable amount of time working up loads for the 270 WSM. Here is some information you may find useful. The two powders I had the best luck with as far as accuracy and velocity were Accurate Arms Magpro and the new Alliant RE17. I shot a ton of loads over the chrony and alot of groups. These two were the top performers. I also used a Federal 215M primer and Norma brass. Case capacity between the Norma brass and Winchester brass is virtually identical. Like I said, I'm going to try the 140 Accubond this next year and I think 3300fps is obtainable give or take 25fps. That is 350fps faster than what I am getting in My 7mm-08 with a 140 grain and it performs great on game up to and including elk. I have really grown to like the shorter action cartidges. Hope this helps.

wyoshooter,
Thanks for the input. I went out today and got me a box of 140gr Accubond. I loaded up a few rounds this afternoon using IMR 4831, I had exceptional luck with it on the 150gr Ballistic Tips. I'll see how they shoot in the next day or so.

According to Nosler the 150 BT is designed as a big game bullet. It should work just fine.

In the smaller calibers the BTs are mostly varmint bullets but in the larger calibers they are mostly big game bullets.

Jack

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsAccording to Nosler the 150 BT is designed as a big game bullet. It should work just fine.

In the smaller calibers the BTs are mostly varmint bullets but in the larger calibers they are mostly big game bullets.

Jack

Alright. Thank you. I have read both ways. That they are designed for big game and that they are not designed well for big game. I just want to make sure that I am loading a bullet that is going to work the best on big game.
So the accubond, the copper jacket is bonded to the lead core?
What about the ballistic tip? (Is the copper jacket just thicker than the smaller Ballistic tip bullets) No bonding of core and jacket?
I have read that the ballistic tip bullets can seperate, the jacket from the core, that they do not retain as much weight, and that they do not consistently leave as good of blood trail.

Now I am not saying that this is true, nor do I have any first hand experience of any of the pre-mentioned problems. I am just looking for information from people in the know.

Thanks to everyone for there opinions and information.

So I went to the Nosler website. Which I should have done to start with. I will know better next time. Although I did do quite a bit of looking around through google, just never came across the Nosler website.

Here is what they say about he Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet:
http://www.nosler.com/ballistictiphunting.htm
Looks to be good for deer of all kinds and antelope

Here is information on the Ballistic Tip Varmint bullet:
http://www.nosler.com/ballistictipvarmint.htm

And here is there information on the Accubond:
http://www.nosler.com/accubond.htm
The accubond is said to be good from deer to African sized game

The accubond is definitely the bullet I am looking for. I want to work up one load for my 270 WSM to use on anything from deer to moose.

Thanks again for all the help.

Originally Posted By: daisy2007So I went to the Nosler website. Which I should have done to start with. I will know better next time. Although I did do quite a bit of looking around through google, just never came across the Nosler website.

Here is what they say about he Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet:
http://www.nosler.com/ballistictiphunting.htm
Looks to be good for deer of all kinds and antelope

Here is information on the Ballistic Tip Varmint bullet:
http://www.nosler.com/ballistictipvarmint.htm

And here is there information on the Accubond:
http://www.nosler.com/accubond.htm
The accubond is said to be good from deer to African sized game

The accubond is definitely the bullet I am looking for. I want to work up one load for my 270 WSM to use on anything from deer to moose.

Thanks again for all the help.

You can call them and find out what the starting load, max load and most accurate load is giving them the powder you plan on using with the 270 140gr Accubonds. I was using H4831SC which is differnt than the IMR4831. Call 800-285-3701 ext 1046

I second Wyoshooters comments about MAG PRO with 71.4grs of the stuff behind a 150gr Nosler BT I get 3,200 out of a 24" bbl . I think MAG PRO was designed for the WSM cartridges.

I didn't spend alot of time working up loads for my 270 WSM but I did find one that works great.

140 grain accubond
71.5 grains Retumbo
Winchester brass, magnum rifle primer

This load knocked an elk down right now last year with shot that was a little far back but still took out both lungs.

The 270 WSM is capable of very good accuracy, good luck.

Back