22ARC

Spurchaser

Ok, first of all I don’t reload and will be using factory ammo if I purchase one in the future.
But opinions wanted about the 22ARC in a bolt gun for predators. Just a dedicated predator gun. If I get one I’ll wait on the Ruger Gen II and will shoot it with a Banish 30 suppressor.
Anyone shoot one? Anyone shoot one suppressed? Yeahs or nays about the caliber? Max shots will be 250ish maybe?

stick with the 22.250 or my favorite the .243 (more horsepower when pelts mean nothing to ya). That being said, I am not a "gun guy" but don't think you can beat proven 70 year old cartridges!!

Since the 22 arc is designed for longer range high bc bullets it doesn’t seem to make sense for 250 yards max distance.

223 with factory 53’s or the 22-250 with factory 50-55’s seem like a no brainer for 250 yards max.

It is would make a svelt little bolt-action calling/walking varminter on a Mini Howa, mini Mauser or 527 that came in 7.62x39 or 6.5 G originally. Would it be enough gain over a 223. I shoot a 222 Rem, 223 and a 22-204(close in capacity to the ARC) their just isn't enough difference in terminal performance, maybe a few more yards for the 223 and 22-204. I could spend the rest in f my days calling with the 222.Rem and not feel under gunned. I also shoot a 5.6x50R Magnum, 22-250 and 22-250 AI so have some experience with hotter .224s.

Your mentioned Ruger would be fine as well as a Savage Model 11. Ruger does have a 60- or 70-degree bolt throw which I prefer. I am into my 2nd Ruger American Compact .243, not threaded for a suppressor but is only 6#. Both shoot sub 1/2MOA with my handloads.

Visit a few shops that sell ammo. See whats on the shelves and whats not on the shelves. If you don't reload and want to buy your ammo a case at a time its something you might consider.

I don't have a 22 ARC, but I do have a 6mm ARC in a bolt rifle. The reasons I decided to go with the 6mm ARC in a bolt is because I wanted more than a 223, but don't really "need" a 6mm CM and because I just wanted something different than a 243/22-250 etc.

The 22 will probably gain in popularity just like the 6 did.

Back