22 cal. JLK LD bullet to extend range

sscoyote

Any of you technical types out there that're shooting 22 centerfires might take a look at JLK's Low Drag bullets for varmint shooting. He's making a 52, 60 and 65gr that retain a much higher BC than the 55 gr. polymer-tips. The 52= .302 in 14 twist, 60= .339 in 12 twist, and the 65= .393 in 10 twist. I ran the calc.'s across Exbal ballistics program, and it looks like you will obtain approximately the same external ballistics with these bullets an avg. of 100+ yds. farther out than the polymer 55's will deliver in just about any case. A low drag bullet is a FBHP with a long nose. The only question left unanswered is gonna be terminal ballistics.

I know a guy that's trying them out of a Cooper .22-250, and he's already obtained a good improvement in accuracy.

That's a neat idea. I've got some very similar .224's on the shelf, in 53 gr. I talked a custom bullet maker into doing me a special run. Accuracy is super, but I was disapointed in terminal effect. The ones we did, we kept a small meplat to maximize BC, but I think we should have given up just a little there for expansion.

- DAA

Hey DAA-- i was wondering just how well those small meplats work on fur-- not too good ehh?? I'm starting to test some 78 gr. bullets i had made up by a company. Looks to be a very thin jacket-- we'll see how they work.

Went to a 1000 yard KD range once with 80 gr JLK's in a 22 CHeetah and until then had only shot out to 600. Everyone thought the bullet would never make it, in fact they set up the range scope behind me to see how far off I was. First round the guy on the range scope said it was at the very bottom of the target. Target went down and came back up with a pin about 3" low in the X ring. The BC's are right on as I computed the drops on a Pact chronograph. The 60's shoot great out of my AR at 3200 fps but have yet to test them on varmints. Roadrunner

Hey DAA-- thks. Jeez, i haven't even seen it yet. Nice to know it's in there. Man i tell ya' that John Anderson-- best editor in the business, hands down.

JLK Bullets-- 479-331-4194, get ahold of them direct. Jimmy Knox is a good guy to talk to-- for sure.-- The nice thing aabout the 52, and 60 gr. LD bullets is that they are the highest BC bullets that can be shot out of a std. 14+12 twist varminter. But i'd heed DAA's comment (as always) about terminal ballistics. Often times those small meplat, long nose bullets don't open up well.

Back