Stir the Pot

William Suter

Have you ever drove by a new car lot and looked at all the commercial trucks? Rows and rows of trucks, they're usually all white, no fancy wheels and tires. Usually no carpet or any chrome trim. They all look the same. Kinda like AR's. Sorry but I been looking for something in 300 BO or something like a 22 or 6 Arc and most everything is on an AR platform. I just can't bring myself to spend money on one. I've been down that road and it just isn't me. Guess I'll just keep shopping. Maybe I'll make an Arc out of my little mini in 6.5 Grendel. No offense to you AR guys. Just stirring the pot a little. LOL

I have a Savage Axis ii HB 6mm ARC. Great rifle, very accurate. I just ordered a Howa Mini in 6 ARC. I hope it's a shooter.

Savage has the Axis in regular and hb. The 110 tactical.
Ruger has all three Americans in 6mm ARC.
Christensen Arms has a rifle.
Howa has the mini with the 20'' and 22'' barrel. They also have the carbon stalker.
Proof has a rifle in 6mm ARC.
Uintah Precision has an AR bolt rifle.

It's also because all three of those cartridges were designed specifically for the AR platform. One good thing about the 6mm ARC is that is can be loaded to a lot higher pressures for bolt rifles.

Not an AR guy either,nothing against them just not for me.Now the white fleet plain Jane trucks are for me,carpet and mud is not a very good mix for me.No fancy rims or tires on my tool used to get from here to there,but to each his own.

Dyed in the wool bolt guy here. I'm kind of the opposite of some. My rifles are plain ole' work guns. Suited for the brush and fences and whatever else I may encounter without worrying about a scratch or ding. Retraction: I did recently purchase a Henry Golden Boy in 22 Mag. That is one pretty lever gun.
I do like a pretty truck though. White or red would not be first choice. But as Terry said "to each his own".

Just yankin' your chain, Bill. ;)
My first truck was a new 65 Chevy plain Jane work truck; only extras were HD clutch & radiator w/oil bath air cleaner. Loved the rubber floor mats as Terry said. Out the door w/1st year insurance was a whopping $2,045! Drove it 14 years and sold it for $1400. We won't discuss current prices, are you listening Brandon? Of the 9 trucks since, 5 have been white, when I had a choice, always buy end of year and take what's available. Wish they had a larger inventory of fleet trucks as only three had rubber floormats so always have to add aftermarket mats. White is best vehicle color due to heat down here.

Oh, and I love AR's.:ROFLMAO:

No problem yankin my chain. I got pretty thick skin. LOL!! I like pretty trucks and nothing against AR's other than they just aren't for me. But my truck is base model Tacoma 4x4. I don't even have intermittent wipers or cruise control. LOL but it gets me where I need to go. I did buy an AR upper from my gun smith the other day. Had it almost a day and swapped it for a Contender. One of my main issues with an AR..... I'll spend more time looking for one stupid piece of brass than I do shooting the dang thing. And yes, I have a brass catcher but never do all the spent rounds end up there.

Coming from bolt guns my whole life, i have a feeling that I don't shoot AR's as well. Its hard to get used to the pistol grip. I do a lot of thermal night hunting right now so its nice to have semi auto, suppressor and a pic rail on top. A ruger mini 14 might be a nice alternative.

One of my main issues with an AR..... I'll spend more time looking for one stupid piece of brass than I do shooting the dang thing. And yes, I have a brass catcher but never do all the spent rounds end up there.
Easy solution to the brass problem is one of reb8600's brass catchers. Used one on both .223 and 243 WSSM AR's and I'd guess they caught at least 99% on both rifles. The ones that were not caught drop almost straight down.
They are very compact and no issues on a hunting rifle even in the brush. The small size limits the capacity so if your range style is spray and pray, might not be your cup of tea. I suspect that is not your style, so all ya gotta do is empty it after several shots according to case size. Never filled it up on .223, even @ range, can't remember doing so on the 243 either.

Coming from bolt guns my whole life, i have a feeling that I don't shoot AR's as well. Its hard to get used to the pistol grip.
Me, too. I was never attracted to the AR until they started to become popular in HP XTC competition and I started noticing the scores they were producing. They also felt awkward to me at first. Never switched for competition, however picked up a Bushmaster Predator and fell in love with it for predator hunting. It shot 1/2 moa out of the box w/handloads and fit my hunting style much better than any bolt gun I had shot.

I set up the majority of the time looking down senderos or pipelines and the critters usually pop out of the thick brush, pause for a second or two, offering a very brief opportunity for a shot, then do what they have in mind, so being ready for rapid target acquisition is a must. I sit w/rifle on my shoulder, resting on sticks, line of sight is barely over the scope, so that all that is necessary to shoot is to get a good cheek weld and find the target. The pistol grip is a natural for this position, especially for extended times, sometimes up to 30 minutes.

When I was forced to use a bolt gun for coyotes, I altered the pistol grip on a savage scout to more vertical angle to replicate the feel of the AR as best I could. Not quite as good as an AR, but close.
1715273063017.jpeg

1715272998434.jpeg

Please educate me . Why in the world would you stick the 6 arc in a bolt action ?
a) you're a fan of bolt guns -hey everyone has their flaws, lets try to not hold it against them eh? ;)
b) performance - it can be loaded quite a bit hotter in a bolt gun as the bolt itself can be beefed up beyond the pressures the AR bolt is capable of.

Back