Yesterday's Sow and Gilt

22magnum22

We have had over 6 inches of rain here this past week and I wanted to get back out and find some hogs. I knew that in a couple days the ground would be softened up and hogs would be rooting. I couldn't go on Monday but left the house around 4:30 yesterday and headed to a small acreage that bordered a section of land that had a wet season creek running through it and had cattle. I did not have permission to hunt the large plot so stayed on the side of the fence where I did have permission. The closer I got to the creek the thicker the vegetation. Wind was 15 to 20 mph out of the south and I had entered from the west, headed east. Lots of cattle to the north on a mostly cleared pasture were watching me and then would look farther east. I couldn't see over a small rise but knew there must be something there because of the interest the cattle showed. As I topped the rise, sure enough, there was a sow, a smaller gilt and about 10 piglets all milling about looking for food. I picked the sow, took the shot at about 90 yds and she was down. The gilt and piglets scattered like a covey of quail then froze in place as their leader was down. Took second shot on the gilt, heard the thump and she went down only to get up and wobble off into the thicket toward the creek. I looked hard for her for 35-40 minutes but only found small blood trail in 2 places. Any hog d
IMG_20240430_174041139_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240430_180854988.jpg
own is a successful hunt in my opinion.

Back