Texturing a rifle stock

William Suter

Anyone done it?? I picked up a used B&C M40 stock over the week-end for my 308. While the stock is in good shape, it needs some grip to the grip area and maybe some on the fore-end as well. I watched a few videos and seem people use everything from textured spray paint to JB Weld. I've done a bunch of paint jobs but never textured one. Looking for advice and ideas too.

You can get texture/granite rattle can Rust-Oleum paint,, some even come in camo colors. Just mask off the pattern you have want

I used a rust-oleum stone paint to do one of mine. And it turned out very well. the only thing that i would recommend is to hit it with a flat clear coat to seal it. If you want it in just certain areas then it would mask it off. You can always sand it off. It did take me a couple of coats to get it where i wanted it.

Rustoleum textured spray the easiest, but least durable, I think. Spray on truck bed coating easy and durable. Marine Tex is great stuff, bet would be PIA for this application.

Research "stippling a wood gunstock" get a Dremel with a flex Shaft and a few small round burrs. Watch a few YouTube videos. Then watch them again in slow (75%) mode.

Look at Google images of gunstock stippling and gunstock checkering

Next draw up a design for your gunstock. I suggest taping off your design and looking at it for a few days.

Now buy a cheap 22 rifle. Strip the stock to bare wood. Draw your design and start stippling. Re stain the stock and apply a new finish

Keep your design simple and basically like the stocks that are checkered.

Main thing. Have fun creating your one of a kind rifle stick

Hobby Lobby carries a spray paint that is called "webbing spray", and it works well and adds some grip and holds up well. You can probably find some examples of it on YouTube.

I looked for webbing spray there a few days ago. Either I over looked it or they were out. I couldn't find it. I am planning a paint job as well. I did get a new bag of sponges. Mine were getting pretty well used.

Speaking of painting...I watched a few videos where they were using dish soap. I guess it was different but sure messy.

I just decided to skip the texturing s it already a textured finish,I was just wanting a little more around the grip. I gave it a sponge paint job using mostly earth tone colors. Turned out OK but they never look just quite like I had in mind. Still better than the black factory color. Later down the road, I may have the barreled action Ceracoated FDE.

Back