NY spring turkey opener

hunt0168

HOMAnimated (1).gif

After having carpal tunnel surgery Monday I wasn’t sure if I would get out for turkeys. Well I’m a Lott stubborn and a lot dumb at times so I said screw it and headed out this morning.

I had quite a bit of gobbling and all of a sudden I had a “hen” calling aggressively across the field from me. Birds pitched out into field and worked towards the hen when 2 shots rang out from the “hen”. I’m the only person that should have been there so I’m less concerned with turkeys now and waiting to see who. No birds dropped at the shots and all the birds were still where they were at the shots. Okay? I start calling again and the “hen” starts calling again. About 5 minutes goes by, I let some jakes pass me and 2 more shots ring out from same spot! A long beard comes running across field to my extreme right and disappears into hedgerow. More gobblers are working slowly the same way so I get rotated and shoot one. The rest scatter and I immediately head to my bird. Standing 10 yards from my bird is the first gobbler just standing and staring into s bush. I walked to within 5 feet of it before it took off running. Pretty sure the shots peppered it and maybe blinded it or something?

I went looking for the trespassers without any luck. Man I hate that!

Anyway, 2 year old with double beard. Unfortunately it had beard rot. Now I didn’t plan far enough ahead with my plan… I had to get my little brother to breast this sucker out because my hand doesn’t move so good! Lol….
IMG_5517.jpeg
IMG_5516.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back