any good for coyote hunting????

hotairgypsy

will a 17 hmr....:) i know it has been asked a million times....just yanking your chain...as for my real question...I already built a 350 legend for my yote hunting but i consider it my blind gun...well i just picked up a M&P FPC 9mm carbine today for my truck gun...well for under 100 yards if i come across one while i am just tootling around what you think about this toy for yotes????
20240516_213300.jpg

Nice blaster.

I just picked up some 9mm 105gr monolithic ammo to try out on coyotes from my pcc.

Last edited:
I have center mass shot large raccoon with my 9mm pistol, one shot doesn't kill fast when using fmj. So use a very fragable bullet. Why I carry a 45.

Good grief... Don't use FMJ for hunting. Most likely it is illegal. Most states prohibit the use of FMJ for hunting purposes because it is ineffective at quickly putting down animals and it is a ricochet danger. Frangible and expanding are two different things. Use a good expanding hollowpoint, something like a Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P. Sight in and keep your shots to about 75 yards and you should be fine as long as you hit them in the right place. The "center mass" is too far back.

For very little money you can get a very serviceable 223/5.56 upper that would make an ideal coyote calling/truck gun.

BCA has a 223 Wylde 16" side charger with BCA, so just drop it in. $169 less 10%

I put one of their rear charger same specs on my Egg Shoot prize AR and it kills coyotes just fine. I didn't care for the long barrel 20P for calling coyotes.

wZlF4l.jpg

Last edited:
IF it has the 100 yd accuracy necessary, any hollow point bullet should penetrate well, expand at least some, and put a hole of at least .355 thru the critter. Prob more w good expansion, plus stretch cavity damage, additional bone shrapnel damage, if any, etc. Should be a dead critter IF you hit both lungs, heart, etc. A coyote very likely will not die right there from a 9mm hit, so expect that. Any 223/556 round w a penetrating ,expanding bullet will deliver WAY more energy on target and likely lead to a quicker death and recovery of said critter. Imho

If it's accurate out to 100 yards it would be. I've killed quite a few with a .22 magnum. A 9mm packs a bigger punch than that so it wouldn't do one any good if you shot a coyote in the head, heart or lungs with that. It'd kill it dead.

There's only about a billion coyotes in the world. Won't hurt to shoot one or three and see what it does. Even with a FMJ they're not gonna go very far if you hit the brain,heart or lungs. Vital organs don't appreciate holes of any kind in them.

BCA has a 223 Wylde 16" side charger with BCA, so just drop it in. $169 less 10%

I put one of their rear charger same specs on my Egg Shoot prize AR and it kills coyotes just fine. I didn't care for the long barrel 20P for calling coyotes.

Nope... look at that carbine again.

I see, said the blind man, which means me. And you are correct if you are referring to a rifle on the AR platform. I was only considering the 9mm carbine shown above.

Last edited:
I don't believe any bullet will fail on any animal so long as the shooter carefully selects where he put's the bullet and does it well. Maybe a 22 RF would not take out many of the larger Africa animals but I suspect properly used on most Africa animals it would work. Two things, consider the range and spot where you want the bullet to hit. Of course if I were to go there I would feel no need to test my theory as there are better answer's. I keep thinking about the Indian woman in Canada that killed a world record Grizzly with a 22 long RF round from a single shot. She waited for the shot she wanted and placed it well.

Back